1. WHAT IS HYPERBARIC OXYGEN THERAPY (HBOT)?Under pressure, additional oxygen is dissolved into the blood plasma and enters the tissues directly. Mild hyperbaric oxygen therapy promotes relaxation, stimulates the body’s healing processes, increases stamina and endurance and also helps the body to return to a state of balance and wellbeing.
Hyperbaric Therapy provides the optimal environment for the body to carry out vital cell processes, thereby increasing the capacity for the body to heal itself.
The hyperbaric chamber utilizes filtered pressurized ambient air to dissolve oxygen directly into the plasma, cerebral and spinal fluids, flooding tissues and vital organs with oxygen.
Humans depend upon the consumption of oxygen all the time. Most atmospheric air is comprised of roughly 21%oxygen. Oxygen is necessary for the production of cellular energy in the mitochondria of every cell in the body. The use of pure 95% oxygen in a high pressure atmosphere has been shown to have extraordinary health benefits. Using oxygen at higher pressures causes up to 20 times more oxygen to be absorbed by the blood and transferred to injured organs and tissues. This speeds healing and recovery time in addition to other benefits.
Oxygen is one of the most natural antibiotics and it controls over 8000 genes. A course of 20 sessions of hyperbaric therapy increases our stem cells (blank DNA cells) by eightfold. HBOT has been shown to improve oxygenation, new blood cell formation (angiogenesis) and new nerve growth (neurogenesis) in the brain. This mechanism explains why HBOT therapy has had such great results at restoring function in individuals with traumatic brain injuries, strokes and neurodegenerative conditions like dementia.
The brain weighs only 2% of our total body weight but uses more than 20% of the body’s oxygen.
Only 10% of our energy comes from food & water while the remaining 90% from oxygen!
2. IS IT SAFE? YES! The hyperbaric chamber uses filtered ambient air, so there is no risk of oxygen toxicity to the body even with regular use.
The chamber can be depressurized and opened from the inside.
Once inside the chamber, both visual and verbal communication is possible with the outside, and there is also a buzzer for help.
Most people report a comfortable, relaxing experience and emerge from the chamber feeling refreshed.
This therapy is non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical, and there are no dangerous side effects.
3. HOW DOES IT WORK? The mild hyperbaric chamber is filled with compressed ambient air at 1.3 ATA max (ATA = atmospheric absolute) This is the equivalent of 11 feet (3.35 meters) below sea level.
Blood is made of three main components; white blood cells that fight infection, red blood cells that carry oxygen and plasma (the fluid that carries both kinds of cells throughout the body). Normally, the red blood cells carry 98% oxygen and the plasma carries 2%.
Mild hyperbaric oxygen therapy forces oxygen into the body fluids under pressure with more oxygen dissolved into the plasma. The increased oxygen level is then carried throughout the body to enhance its’ natural healing powers.
It is also said that dissolved oxygen saturates the plasma, lymph, synovial joints and the cerebrospinal fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord. Oxygen is then utilized by the body for vital cell functions, healthier cells equals healthier tissues, and organs.
The human body is capable of healing itself when it has what it needs. There is NOTHING the human body needs more than OXYGEN.
It is the equivalent of “rocket fuel” for your body.
4. WHY DOES IT WORK? Henry’s Law of Physics:
An increase in atmospheric pressure allows for more gas to be dissolved into any given liquid.
Oxygen, the 8th element on the Periodic Table, exists as a gas at room temperature.
The human body is composed almost completely of water.
Gas … under pressure … dissolves in water
5. ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS? Not at all, it is completely comfortable and safe. Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy has many healing and therapeutic benefits. The chamber can be utilised without the danger of oxygen toxicity. And as it is completely safe, can be combined with most other therapies without the side effects associated with some treatments.
However, there are a few things to keep in mind when preparing for your first session in a chamber:
Some people experience a mild discomfort to the ears when pressurizing the chamber similar to the sensation of descending in an aircraft or diving deep in a pool.
It is advisable that you wear comfortable, loose clothing. (Pantyhose and other tight garments may contribute to feelings of claustrophobia.)
Do not drink large amounts of fluids before entering the chamber.
Do not wear perfume or cologne when you are coming for your session.
6. WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO HAPPEN DURING MY SESSION? First you lie down on your back and wear an Oxygen mask. This will allow you to breath 95% Oxygen or without a mask you get 35% Oxygen.
The chamber will seem smaller when deflated than it is when fully pressurized. Within one minute the chamber will inflate completely, allowing enough room for an adult to sit upright or lie fully extended.
After the chamber inflates, it will begin to pressurize. This is the time when you may experience pressure in your ears. The easiest way to relieve any discomfort this may cause is to equalize your ears using one or more of the following methods:
Close your mouth and firmly clamp your nose shut with your fingers and thumb. Blow, as if you were blowing your nose, but keep nose and mouth closed. You will feel the air come out through your ears when you have done this procedure correctly, and this should relieve the pressure.
Yawn. Stretching your mouth as wide as possible, even stretching your tongue out. This will cause the sinus passages surrounding your ears to drain and relieve the pressure.
7. HOW LONG DOES A SESSION LAST? Typically, the sessions times ranges from 60 to 90 minutes. Shorter or longer times are also available
8. WHAT CAN I DO DURING MY HYPERBARIC SESSION? Set an INTENTION as to what you want to get out of your session.
Then close your eyes, Breath, Relax or Meditate.
Listen to music on a portable device using headphones as it is noisy.
Talk on your cell phone.
Play handheld games.
Watch movies on portable DVD player.
Work on laptop computer.
Read books or magazines
9. ARE THERE ANY REASONS A PERSON SHOULD NOT GO INTO THE CHAMBER? Yes. You should NOT go into the chamber if you are inebriated (drunk), if you have ear canal problems or an ear infection, or if you are experiencing flu or cold symptoms. Also please do not enter the chamber wearing perfume or cologne. We do have individuals who are sensitive to chemicals that might enter the chamber after you.
If you are claustrophobic, then best to let us know as we can accommodate you by placing the Oxygen mask outside the chamber in a sitting or recumbent position so you can still get the benefits of breathing 95% Oxygen without the compression.
Also, if you are suffering with an acute upper respiratory or lung condition such as bronchitis, pneumonia, pleurisy.
10. WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE IN THE CHAMBER? During treatment you may feel slightly warm whilst the chamber is pressuring, comfortable when the chamber is at pressure and slightly cool as it depressurises. Your heart rate and blood pressure will settle as the pressure increases helping you to relax.
11. HOW FREQUENTLY SHOULD I SCHEDULE MY SESSIONS? We will make a recommendation for you based on your needs after an initial evaluation. Anyone who needs oxygen therapy for a particularly serious condition should think about committing to at least three sessions a week for the best results.
Many people feel their best after completing two sessions a day for five days in a row each week. Most people do well with 30 to 40 sessions. However, as the therapy is safe it is recommended that you use it as often as possible for general health, wellness and longevity and more frequent for recovery from a serious illness.
12. HOW WILL I FEEL DURING AND AFTER THE TREATMENT? Generally, hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a relaxing experience – in fact most people drift off to sleep. Your body will be detoxing and this is normal. However, some people may experience minor symptoms associated with detoxing after the treatment. Following your first few sessions, you may experience fatigue as the body sweeps itself clear of toxic debris that has built up in the body. This is safe and normal during the healing process. Alternatively, you may feel more alert, awake and energised with no detox symptoms – it will depend on your own body.
Bacteria, toxins, viruses and parasites cannot survive in an oxygen rich environment.
13. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF HYPERBARIC OXYGEN TREATMENTS? Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy has many benefits A course of therapy can:
- improve strength, energy and endurance
- relieve tension and stress
- improve concentration and memory
- detoxify the blood
- promote healing and counter ageing
- strengthen heart and lungs
- provide a natural remedy for headaches and migraines
- improve metabolism and aid digestion
- reduce fatigue and improve sleeping patterns
- relieve muscle stiffness
- improve skin conditions
- strengthen the immune system for a general sense of wellbeing
HBOT is an acceptable complimentary treatment for cancer patients undergoing radiation treatment. Our state-of-the-art hyperbaric chamber is spacious and provide healing oxygen therapy in the most comfortable environment possible.
“Research has proven that HBO is a very safe way to reduce healing time by 50 percent”
14. HOW MUCH DO SESSIONS COST? Sessions vary in cost according to the package purchased. We will discuss the best option with you when you attend your session.
Single 1 hour session =$75
Launch Special – Introductory Offer!
Buy 2 Get 1 Free $150 (Save $75).
Hyperbaric Sessions – 10 Session Package
Buy 6 Get 4 Free $450 (Save $300).
Hyperbaric Session – 20 Session Package
Buy 11 Get 9 Free $800 (save $700)
Oxygen Mask $10
PAUL’S REVIEW: After recently going to the Emergency department of the local hospital for my extremely sore toe, I was told by the surgeon that my toe was dying and had to be surgically removed. I was in total shock after hearing this and told the surgeon I wanted to see if I could save it. He told me there was a slim chance but didn’t look good. After leaving hospital I thought was the hyperbaric chamber could be helpful in getting oxygen to my toe. After speaking with Chris he agreed so I made my first appointment. After a few sessions in the chamber my toe started to improve which was quite a relief. After seeing an improvement I was keen to keep the therapy going to make sure I didn’t have to get this toe amputated. I really believe that there is a major health benefit to the chamber and highly recommended it to anyone.
For Booking an appointment call Coast Oxygen on 0411 963 965
Chris Youakim (Wellness Chiropractor)
1/12 Campbell Crescent | TERRIGAL 2260 | Central Coast